Sunday 28 April 2013

Reaching Out



Programmed to be competitive through both school and sport it has been an adjustment for me to realize that we are all in this together. I had this pre-dispositioned notion that when I entered my first block I would have to start from scratch. Creating lesson plans, managing students, being innovative, differentiating instruction etc etc etc. But it wasn’t like that at all. It was really smooth, really helpful and really supportive to my needs as a new teacher. I was being spoiled and really lucking out with an amazing associate.

At the end of last year I was assigned a VAT (Virtual Associate Teacher). I could choose from a long list of teachers that had volunteered to help us, guide us provide us with resources etc. I will be honest; I found this hard to believe. I reached out chose a couple off the list. Local educators working within the board I am hoping to get into as well as fellow educators in the math and physics subject areas. All seemed great and offered to be a resource to me if I needed anything. I made the mistake of not pursuing this. 

My second block was much more hectic for me.  A lot more on my plate, a subject area I was less confident in and a highly academic school that kept me on my toes. This is where I should have reached out to the VAT’s for help. Ideas, lessons and mentoring would have all been an asset to me at this time but I was afraid. I still had not wrapped my head around the idea that these people were truly there to help. Just a tweet or comment or email away, these people wanted to help me. 

I regret not getting help during block 2 but I also learned a lot on my own, (Like to ask for help when I need it). In my third block the assistance I receive is outstanding. I am completely immersed in a positive learning environment and I think that is what made me realize that I need to do the same with my VAT. This is a profession where we enjoy helping others, where we thrive on one another’s successes, and where we work to minimize failures and maximize the learning that comes from it. 

My next steps will be to connect with my VAT on more than an introductory level. To share my experiences and ask for help on how I can better them in the future. I will discuss difficulties and successes as well as new ideas and activities. It is an adjustment to realize that we are all in this together, but it is an adjustment that I need to make.

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
-Henry Ford


No comments:

Post a Comment