Sunday 28 April 2013

Live and Interactive



Over my University career there was a shift in my learning. I had to learn to memorize less and communicate more. Whether it was through discussion, presentation, reflection etc… I found myself sharing my ideas, critically thinking and commenting on the thoughts of others on a regular basis. 

One of my favourite experiences was when I engaged in a discussion through social media during a TVO episode.  I was able to watch the discussion regarding current issues embedded within Ontario education while simultaneously following the comments, thoughts and critiques of people all over the Country. This was truly my first opportunity to have a discussion in real time not just with a group of peers but with a nation about a topic that we were all passionate about. 

I found this to be a much more realistic discussion; a discussion that people chose to be participating in rather than forced to reflect on. I also thought it seemed less censored. No one was sugar-coating thoughts because they thought it was what the “right answer” was. What they thought others wanted to hear. It was just how they felt.

I think this is an important idea to share with students in the classroom. I would like to introduce them to twitter as a powerful newsfeed option. I want them to see it as not just a tool to see what is happening in their friends or celebrity lives but what is taking place across the planet combined with instantaneous thoughts, feelings and opinions on those issues. Further I think this will be a powerful resource for students to begin to develop critical thinking skills and metacognition. To dig deeper into issues surrounding them and truly explore the impact they have on us. So often students want to be heard, want their ideas and opinions to matter. I would like to share with them a way to communicate with the world and express their thoughts while embedding lessons on safety, moral and world literacy as well as respectfulness throughout.

If there is anything in the universe that can't stand discussion, let it crack.
-Wendell Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment